Opera Columbus and Capital University have partnered together to launch the OCCU Resident Artist Program.
During the residency, accepted artists will join Opera Columbus to cover roles in mainstage productions, perform in educational tours, and be part of community engagement opportunities. They will also serve as voice teachers, perform recitals, and expand their repertoire at Capital University.
Selected artists will be able to experience an ample amount of opportunities throughout this program. With Opera Columbus, artists will perform for more than 13,000 students throughout Central Ohio as part of its “Opera Goes to School” program and perform and cover mainstage roles. In addition to serving as voice teachers at Capital University, artists will stand as mentors to the undergraduate students in the music program and perform a recital and scenes from opera/musical theatre as needed to expand repertoire and student mentorship.
Resident Artists will be considered for major roles, significant covers, and comprimario characters, as well as soloists for select community events and educational touring artists. Select Opera Columbus repertoire under consideration includes:
“L’incoronazione di Poppea”
Role of Drusilla and soldiers
“Il barbiere di Siviglia”
Role of Basilio
Resident Artists will also be required to present a solo voice recital at Capital University and participate in select opera scenes/performance opportunities as assigned. Teaching private voice lessons and assisting in coursework will also be an integral part of this residency.
PROGRAM DATES & INFORMATION
August 12, 2019 – May 4, 2020
Payment is provided
Competitive payment is provided for each artist throughout the duration of the contract.
Housing accommodations for artists will also be made available through Capital University.
HOW TO APPLY
Deadline: Applications must be received by Monday, April 1, 2019
- Completed application.
- Detailed performance resume that also highlights teaching/pedagogy experience (PDF, more than one page acceptable).
- One high-resolution headshot.
- Two audio or video recordings of arias in contrasting styles and languages with piano or orchestra. Recordings must have been made within 12 months of the application deadline.
- Three professional references. Contact information will need to be provided on the application form. No written recommendation letters are accepted.
- A non-refundable application fee of $30.00.
- You must be eligible to work in the United States in order to be considered for this opportunity.
- Eligible candidates must have completed at least a masters degree in vocal performance due to accreditation requirements.
Locations and Dates:
Columbus, Ohio: Saturday, April 13, 2019 | Capital University, Huntington Recital Hall
New York, New York: Thursday, April 25 – Friday, April 26, 2019 | Opera America Center
Please bring a minimum of 5 selections fulfilling the following:
- Four operatic arias of contrasting styles.
- Required: 1 Italian and 1 English
- The remaining arias may be in any language
- One 20th or 21st century non-operatic selection in English: musical theatre, jazz standards, and art songs are all acceptable.
Candidates will be notified if they receive a live audition in a timely manner.
After the live audition, callbacks will be held for select auditionees. Please be available to return at the conclusion of the audition day for callback interviews. Auditionees will be notified via email whether or not they receive callbacks.
NOTE: Please be prepared to discuss your teaching experience and philosophy during the brief callback interview.
SHOULD YOU BE GRANTED A LIVE AUDITION, there will be no extra charge for the pianist provided.